NVidia drivers

Home Page Forums users NVidia drivers

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      ouaille_aime_scier
      Participant

Hi Silvan,

Is it something specially to do to install NVidia drivers (xorg-drv-video-nvidia) as blacklisting nouveau and/or loading NVidia module ?

I don’t know if I have to write to /etc/modules-load/ or /etc/modprobe.d/ or in /usr/lib/… directories.

And when kernel upgrading do I have to do something in particular (resintalling drivers for the new kernel or use dkms ?)

Thanks in advance.

Silvan
      Keymaster

Hi ouaille_aime_scier,

the nvidia.ko module from xorg-drv-video-nvidia is built and maintained by dkms for kernel updates.

The rpm also blacklists the nouveau driver providing the file /usr/lib/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf.

Unfortunately I don’t have a PC to test with nvidia as primary controller, so I’m not sure if it will work or require something else, like explicit module loading and a configuration fragment in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Years ago nvidia driver needed to be run without “nomodeset”, current driver claims to support modesetting but this is a situation I could not test.

If you feel skilled enough to operate on the system even if you get black screen at boot you may want to test and in case of problems I can try to give you support to make it work for you and possibly future openmamba users. In case of black screen providing the content of the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log may help.

Thanks.

ouaille_aime_scier
      Participant

Thanks Silvan,
      I have installed the xorg-drv-video-nvidia package, removed the xorg-drv-video-nouveau one, the /usr/lib/modoprobe.d/nvidia.conf has effectively blacklisted nouveau driver.
      I got black screen after booting and my Xorg.0.log shows segmentation fault with libc and nouveau/dri. I will post the file later.

Silvan
      Keymaster

Hi, if you still get errors related to nouveau you may need to recreate the initramfs with:
      sudo mkinitrd -f

ouaille_aime_scier
      Participant

Hello Silvan,

I hae recreated the initramfs with mkinitrd command but without success.

I attach my Xorg.0.log here https://pastebin.com/1qK7h3zh

Silvan
      Keymaster

Hi,
      I’m going to retrieve one or two nvidia cards to do tests because it is not easy to make their current and legacy drivers to work, I’ve done this many times in the past 15-20 years but at some point something changes and meanwhile my only card got broken. Unfortunately Nvidia still gives poor support to packagers by only providing an autoinstalling script to be run by the user with root privileges.

By the way if you want to do a couple of further tests I suggest:

1) first let’s check if nvidia module is correctly available, such commands could confirm this:

sudo dkms status
      sudo modprobe nvidia
      dmesg | tail

2) create a file with path /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf with the following content:

Section "Files"
      ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/nvidia/xorg"
      ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
      EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier "Nvidia Card"
      Driver "nvidia"
      VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
      EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
      Option "IgnoreABI" "1"
      EndSection

and try a normal reboot.

3) try to boot selecting the second menu entry in the advanced submenu of the Grub boot loader (the option is described as “Proprietary video driver” and runs the kernel with nomodeset, which was the scenario with Nvidia drivers not supporting modesetting).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Silvan.
      • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Silvan.
      ouaille_aime_scier
      Participant

Hi Silvan,

Noone solution has worked for me with NVidia drivers, so I go back to Nouveau driver which works fine by my side include with Wayland too.

Thanks for your help.

Silvan
      Keymaster

Hi ouaille_aime_scier,

thanks for the feedback, I have just a final question: can you please tell me the exact model of your Nvidia equipment? If you don’t know, the output of the following command should provide this information:

lspci|grep -i nvidia

If the Nouveau driver is working fine I suspect that your Nvidia GPU is an old model supported by one of the Nvidia legacy drivers or else maybe it works because I recently disabled Nouveau acceleration support by default.

Thanks and good continuation with openmamba.

ouaille_aime_scier
      Participant

Hello Silvan,

My GPU is a GForce GTX 2060 Mobile
      VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU106M [GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile] (rev a1)

Thanks.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.