Problem booting in VirtualBox after install

Home Page Forums devel Problem booting in VirtualBox after install

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Piki

Ah, it feels good to be back after my long absence 🙂

Anyway, this is in Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.6 with 1GB RAM and 64MB Video RAM and 3D acceleration enabled.

Milestone 2 pre2 doesn’t boot after install (it just hangs at the bootsplash), though Live CD mode works. I have tried with IO APIC both on and off. I am in the process of downloading the weekly snapshot.

Piki

The development snapshot yields the same result.

ercolinux
      Participant

Welcome back 🙂

You say that hangs just after the boot: you don’t have any other hint?

You’ve tried to start in debug mode?

Ercole

Piki

Apparently, it can’t access device dev(0,0) , nor can kinit find init . Also, it complains of something trying to access the hardware directly (this is a computer that doesn’t always have Internet access, my current Internet access is very intermittent).

Silvan
      Keymaster

I’m going to test a VirtualBox installation to see and fix this as this problem should happen independently from hardware.

Silvan
      Keymaster

I’ve successfully installed the latest snapshot (20100719) under VirtualBox. The box is configured with an IDE Controller PIIX4, maybe you set up a SATA or SCSI controller?

Piki

VirtualBox automatically chose AHCI SATA for me, I will try installing it with IDE. Problem is, my only currently working machine is an AHCI SATA controller, so if this is not supported in openmamba, I will not be able to do a live install.

Piki

Hmm, even when using PIIX3, PIIX4, and ICH6 for my IDE setup in VirtualBox, it gives the same exact kernel panic.

Silvan
      Keymaster

So the problem must be elsewhere. You can start the system in debug mode and take a snapshot of the last messages by following these instructions:

http://wiki.openmamba.org/en/index.php/Problems_when_the_system_starts

Have you configured in the box a combination of IDE and SATA drives? This may issue a known problem in the root= kernel parameter, so you also can try with different root= boot options. Anyway we can diagnose this by looking at the debug messages as said above.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.